PART XV CODES
A. CODE OF ETHICS FOR MEMBERS
Each Member shall comply with the following Code of Ethics and any Member who fails to do so shall be guilty of an offence against these Rules.
As a Member of the South Australian Canine Association:
- I shall ensure that at all times all dogs under my control are properly and effectively contained by fencing or enclosure, and properly housed, fed, watered, exercised and given proper Veterinary attention if and when required.
- I shall not allow any dogs under my care to roam at large, and, when away from home, ensure they are kept fully leashed and under effective control, or otherwise under effective control at all times. (01/16)
- I shall breed only for the purpose of improving the quality of the breed in line with the breed standard and strive to eliminate hereditary diseases in the breed/s that I produce.
- I shall strive to have all my breeding stock tested, where tests are available, for hereditary diseases.
- The health and welfare of a bitch being bred from is of paramount importance and I will adhere to the following minimum standards. (01/20)
(a) Not allow any bitch owned by me and/or under my control to be mated before she is twelve months of age. (01/20)
(b) Breeding – A member shall not breed with a bitch causing it to whelp more than twice in any eighteen (18) period without the prior approval of the SACA. (01/20)
(c) Not permit a bitch to have more than five litters in her lifetime. (01/20)
(d) Not conduct or permit mother/son, father/daughter or brother/sister matings. Puppies from such matings will not be registered unless approval from the SACA was provided prior to the mating. SACA will only provide approval where scientifically proven welfare or veterinary reasons exist. (01/20)
(e) Not breed a bitch over eight years of age unless at the time of a mating there was a current veterinary certificate stating that the bitch is in good health. The veterinary certificate must be presented at the time of registering the litter resulting from this mating. A current veterinarian certificate is defined as a certificate dated within the three months prior to the mating. (01/20)
- I shall not knowingly permit any of my pure bred dogs to be mated to a dog of a different breed, to a cross bred dog, or to an unregistered dog of the same breed, or to a dog of the same breed which is entered on the Limited Register, unless specific permission is given by the SACA.
- I shall not sell or otherwise transfer from my care any puppy under eight weeks of age, thus allowing for vaccination to be given at six weeks of age and thereby allowing for the ten to fourteen days for the vaccine to take effect. Upon the disposal of the dog I shall provide the owner with a current vaccination certificate of that dog issued by a Veterinary Surgeon. Accepted Veterinarian vaccination certificates are C3 12/36 months, C4, C5 or an annual Titre Test accompanied by a Veterinarian letter. (01/19)
- I shall not knowingly sell or otherwise transfer from my care any dog that is not in good health.
- I shall ensure that any puppy that is to be exported shall be a minimum of eleven weeks of age and micro-chipped. (01/12)
- I shall ensure that all persons acquiring dogs from me clearly understand their responsibility for the care and welfare of the animal as defined in Clause 1 and 2 above. I shall not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed, nor falsely advertise, or mislead any person regarding the performance of any dog. I shall provide to all purchasers of dogs or those placed by me, written details of all dietary and vaccination requirements and responsible dog ownership and/or an appropriate publication relating to such requirements.
11. I shall not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers, or directly or indirectly to allow a dog to be given as a prize or donation in a contest of any kind or to be auctioned. (01/12)