PART XV CODES
CODE OF ETHICS FOR MEMBERS
As a Member of the South Australian Canine Association:
Each Member shall comply with the following Code of Ethics and any Member who fails to do so shall be guilty of an offence against these rules.
1. I shall ensure that at all times all dogs under my control are properly and effectively contained by fencing or enclosure, and are property housed, fed, watered, exercised and given proper Veterinary attention if and when required.
2. I shall not allow any dogs under my care to roam at large, and, when away from home, ensure they are kept fully leashed, or otherwise under effective control at all times.
3. I shall breed only for the purpose of improving the quality of the breed in line with the breed standard and strive to eliminate hereditary diseases in the breed/s that I produce.
4. I shall strive to have all my breeding stock tested, where tests are available, for hereditary diseases.
5. (a) I shall not allow any bitch owned by me and/or under my control being mated before she is twelve months of age.(01/15)
(b) I understand that to mate the same bitch in consecutive seasons is not a recommended breeding practice and should only be undertaken in exceptional circumstances.
(c) If exceptional circumstances exist which I consider make it necessary to mate a bitch causing it to whelp in consecutive seasons, I will not mate that bitch for a period of twelve months from the date of the birth of the puppies from that second season.
(d) I shall not conduct or permit mother/son, father/daughter or brother/sister matings. I shall be fully aware that puppies as a result of such matings will not be registered without first gaining approval from the SACA for the mating for scientifically proven welfare or veterinary reasons. (01/12)
(e) All bitches eight years of age and over at the time of a mating must have a current veterinary certificate stating that the bitch is in good health at the time of breeding. This certificate must be presented at the time of registration of the litter resulting from this mating. A current veterinarian certificate is defined as being within three months prior to the mating.
6. I shall not knowingly permit any of my pure breed dogs to be mated to a dog of a different breed, to a cross bred dog, or to an unregistered dog of the same breed, or to a dog of the same breed which is entered on the Limited Register, unless specific permission is given by the SACA.
7. I shall not sell or otherwise transfer from my care any puppy under eight weeks of age, thus allowing for vaccination to be given at six weeks of age and thereby allowing for the ten to fourteen days for the vaccine to take effect. Upon the disposal of the dog I shall provide the owner with a current vaccination certificate of that dog issued by a Veterinary Surgeon.
8. I shall not knowingly sell or otherwise transfer from my care any dog that is not in good health.
9. I shall ensure that any puppy that is to be exported shall be a minimum of eleven weeks of age and micro-chipped. (01/12)
10. I shall ensure that all persons acquiring dogs from me clearly understand their responsibility for the care and welfare of the animal as defined in Clause 1 and 2 above. I shall not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed, nor falsely advertise, or mislead any person regarding the performance of any dog. I shall provide to all purchasers of dogs or those placed by me, written details of all dietary and vaccination requirements and responsible dog ownership and/or an appropriate publication relating to such requirements.
11. I shall not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers, or directly or indirectly to allow a dog to be given as a prize or donation in a contest of any kind to be auctioned. (01/12)